pinterest

Friday, January 25, 2013

Repurposing = Interesting

Why use a plain old picture frame?  Liven up your photos with some repurposed pretties.  This also works well for any small photograph that needs more presence.  This 2 x 3  photo is one of my personal favorites; it's my two sisters and one of my brothers.  We always tease him about his frown in this picture.

This  was a wooden plinth that I bought at the Canton Flea Market in Texas.  I chose a photo of my siblings (some of them anyway), and sewed some lace on the edges of the photo.



The top piece was also a flea market find.  I drilled a hole in the top of the wood and put a dowel into the hole with glue, then topped the dowel with the metal piece and let the glue dry.  I've titled this piece "Les Soeurs, Le Frere" or Sisters and brother.  Why the french?  We grew up in South Louisiana where a lot of people still speak french.  My dad made sure we learned it, even if we didn't want to....It was actually his first language, and he learned english when he started school.  And my mother was a french teacher for many years.  So, we are a bilingual family.

 This metal piece was an escutcheon, or drawer pull backing.  I attached it with two upholstery tacks.  And, of course, a little bling at the top!



At the bottom, I added a drawer pull, and the bottom of a broken rosary, which reminds me of the rosaries we prayed as a family on long trips.

Then I hung it on the wall, and hung a frame around it to give it more presence.  Way more interesting than a tiny photo on a wall.  It is hanging in my kitchen.  Voila!


And just for fun.....here's another project where I used this photo - this time I made a copy and used only my brother.  Here it is!  :  )
 I made him into a little witch!  Ha ha ha...I just love his little frown!
Linking up with:
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Made By You Monday at Skip To My Lou

6 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow, this is totally stunning! Love your repurposed piece and sooooo clever how you have put it all together, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. Very interesting. Great to be inside that frame. Nice job dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's brilliant! I love taking a special picture and having it make a statement, and your piece is just wonderful. I think it was the lace personally that made it just perfect (wink wink!!).
    Awesome job!! I'm so glad you shared that with us for my party!
    Lovely lovely!!
    Blessings,
    Doni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful!! Agree, I rarely use an actual frame :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Your comments make my day!